Thursday, June 12, 2008

New Packaging


I'm continually trying to refine my packaging, and an article today in the Storque on Etsy inspired me to try to be a bit more creative. I want my packaging to be eco-friendly, which means I am striving for less waste. I would like to use packaging that can be reused, which is why I switched from small pieces of cork to metal tins for my pushpins. My problem now is how to wrap the other items in my shop, such as necklaces, coasters, and fabric Moleskine covers.

Since my items are made of fabric, it didn't take me long to think... Maybe I could package them in fabric! I have a lot of fabric scraps that aren't great for buttons (pattern is too big to be of much interest on a small thumbtack or magnet), so I tried to think of a way to incorporate the scraps. I also have a hug amount of unbleached muslin -- I was going to slip cover my couch and make a pattern out of the muslin first, but decided to wait until I can afford to have it reupholstered.

After a bit of pondering -- It finally came to me! I could make simple muslin bags, with a scrap fabric pocket on the front to put my business card it. I will tie the top of the bag with a bit of ribbon (I have waaaaaaaaaay too much ribbon, so now it will be put to good use!), and possibly add a tag. The edges of the pocket and the top of the bag are cut with pinking shears, to make the bag a bit more interesting. The picture above shows what I came up with! I'm going to think of a list of ways that the buyer can reuse the bag and post the list in my shop.

I am also trying to think of a "freebie" to include in orders, or at least larger orders. I had an idea, but it looks like it is going to cost a bit more than I want -- I'd like to keep the free item under 50 cents in cost. I have gotten freebies before that were great -- such as samples of soaps when I bought a couple bars. I've also gotten some that went straight in the trash (sorry) -- hard candy or small stickers (commercial, not handmade). I know that the sellers were well-intentioned, but I really think the freebie should relate to the shop and what what purchased.

Well, I should make more of the muslin bags... but my bobbin is empty, and I'm not in the mood to reload! Perhaps tomorrow :)

No comments: