Friday, June 13, 2008

A New Item - Picnic Placemats!


I love placemats -- but the idea of selling placemats in my shop seemed... Boring? Just placemats? So, I embarked on a quest to make them more interesting, and purposeful. I like to create things that are pretty, but have a specific purpose.

In brainstorming, I thought about my notebook covers, with the ribbon ties. My thoughts wandered to all the lunches I ate at my desk at work, and I thought how nice it would be if I had a clean place to eat (do you know how many germs are on that desk from little kid hands??). The roll-up placemat idea came first, but then I thought about incorporating a pocket for the utensils. I was only going to make one pocket at first (I usually only have a spoon), but I figured some people would need all three utensils, so I created a divided pocket. I used my own silverware, which is pretty standard size, to determine how large to make the pocket.

Right now, the most difficult thing is picking the thread color for top stitching. It is hard because some of the fabrics have so many different colors, I am just choosing to use white or cream/ivory. However, on a couple that I am making tomorrow, I am going to use a different colored thread. I also found that just the two layers of cotton didn't feel sturdy enough, so I used a layer of one of my favorite interfacings. I almost had a panic attack when Hancocks didn't have any of the interfacing left, but I was able to find it at Ben Franklins. I think I might end up ordering a bolt online.

I have two picnic placemats finished (one in the shop), three that are almost done, and three are cut out and waiting. I hope to finish them all by the end of the weekend!

No comments: