Thursday, February 5, 2009

Creative Organizing: Magazines

After crafting and reading, organizing is my third favorite hobby. Yes, hobby -- I will reorganize things that are already organized, and I am constantly searching for the "best" way to organize certain things. Sometimes, I will use an ordinary organizer (today, magazine holders) and add some type of decorative or creative flair to it. Other times I will use something in a new way, and there are even times when I make my own organizer!

Today, we'll start with something ordinary: Magazine holders. They come in all sorts of styles (metal, wood, plastic), but I never could find ones that matched my decor and were affordable. So, I used inexpensive cardboard magazine holders from Ikea and wrapping paper to make my own!


In order to make these, you need:
- cardboard magazine holders from Ikea (they come flat fold, which makes this very simple)
- spray adhesive
- scissors
- wrapping paper (obviously pick a roll or two that matches your decor)


First, lay one of the flat magazine holders on the wrapping paper. The paper should be wide enough to go around the holder, so you need to cut a piece slightly taller than the holder.

Next, (do this outside or on scrap paper) spray the entire outside of the flat magazine holder with spray adhesive (both flattened sides).

Wrap the wrapping paper around the magazine holder. There will be an area that overlaps, you can cut this off or fold it and tuck it under (that is what I did).

Once the spray adhesive is dry, use your scissors to trim the wrapping paper around the edges of the magazine holder. This is easier to do if you "unflatten" the holder (you won't be able to fully assemble the bottom until you trim off the extra wrapping paper). Once it is trimmed, assemble the bottom of the holder by tucking in the flaps. Tada!

I would love to post step-by-step photos, but I am still dealing with limited battery power on my camera and a lost charger. If you have questions, please do ask and I will try to help!

No comments: