Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Tool Tuesday: Rotary Cutter

It seems that I am loving my sewing tools again this week. I promise, I have plenty of other tools -- I've just been doing a lot of sewing lately, that's all!

This week my must-have tool is the nifty rotary cutter. If you cut a lot of straight lines, squares, or triangles, then you need this tool! I really don't remember my life before it. Oh wait, yes I do -- tediously measuring and cutting fabric. Well, no more for me. Many of the projects I do incorporate cutting straight lines, and it really was a big pain before. I remember measuring, marking with a disappearing ink pen, using a ruler to draw lines, slow cutting, blah blah blah. Those days are long gone. Now I have this handy Fiskers rotary cutter:
I am very loyal to my Gingher scissors, but when it comes to straight lines, I must use my rotary cutter. You can even replace the blade when it gets dull (which is about every month or two for me, but I cut a whole-lots-o-fabric). It is time to get a new blade when you start having fabric that doesn't cut all the way or you are having to apply too much pressure. **By the Way** Applying too much pressure = not a good idea (I'm lucky I only nicked a fingernail to learn this lesson, I have a friend in high school who had to have a few stitches, yikes!!!). So, when you get a rotary cutter, please make sure to replace the blade when needed!

*Sigh* I do love my rotary cutter... Almost as much as my thread nippers! Its going to be hard to find another tool next week that I love as much as them, but I will try!

P.S. Don't forget to check out Monday's post to enter the thumbtacks giveaway!

P.P.S. I didn't find my battery charger for my camera yet... but I did get a new camera!!! Thanks Dad! Please excuse my photos for a while, I'm still trying to figure out how to use this new guy -- Things I used to photograph in regular mode now need to be photographed in macro, or at least I think that is why the rotary cutter was fuzzy the first 57 times I photographed it! I'm still reading the manual to learn how to use all the functions! At least it is still the same brand (Canon) so some of the functions are the same as my dead-battery-no-charger-camera.

No comments: