Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Tool Tuesday: Thread Nippers

I have dozens of beloved tools and such in my crafting arsenal, and every Tuesday I am going to share my favorites with you. Why? Because you need them, that is why. (Just don't tell your husband/significant other that I am the one who told you that you need them.)

When I started to think of my favorite tool of the moment, there was no hesitation. It was something that I didn't think I needed, but when I did splurge and buy it, I don't know how I ever lived without it. My tool-of-the-moment that I can't live without is my pair of thread nippers. (Just like scissors, these nippers are called "pairs" I believe -- never did quite understand that.)
Now, I know, someone out there is saying, "Jamieson, I can nip my threads with scissors, why do I need thread nippers?" You are going to have to trust me on this -- If you do any amount of sewing, especially with a sewing machine or serger, you need these. I really thought they were a luxury purchase, but once I bought them (erm, they weren't cheap, but I did use a fantastic 40% off coupon to soften the blow to the wallet), I couldn't imagine sewing without them. They are much, much easier to pick up and nip (or snip, if you prefer) a thread with. You can get close to the fabric with much more ease than I was able to do with scissors -- I had already tried using all three sizes of my sewing scissors before getting these handy nippers.
There are several varieties at stores like Jo-Ann's. I went this pair from Gingher -- all of my sewing scissors are from this company, and I like them to be all matchy-matchy. Plus, they all come in these nifty storage tins (see picture)! I tied a striped ribbon around the finger hole on my nippers so that I can find them when they are hiding under fabric while I am sewing.

If anyone else has thread nipper suggestions (other brands?) or, if you have any questions, let me know!

Also, don't forget to check Monday's post to enter the giveaway to win a Robot Pencil Cup!

(Goodness, I almost forgot to mention -- the cute pins in the photo are similar to the ones I saw on Heather Bailey's blog in this post (in the pear pincushion). I have been searching for them for months, and I finally found them at Jo-Ann's! I am working on a matching pincushion to put them in, so for now they are just scattered on my sewing/craft table.)

2 comments:

LollyChops said...

I only have Gingher snips too.. does that make me a snob? I just like everything to be matchy matchy poo.. it's just better for the craft karma ya know?

I do not however have THESE.. so I must use my trusty coo-pon and get some right away!

Jamieson said...

No, you aren't a snob! Gingher scissors are amazing! They are worth every penny!

And, matchy-matchy craft tools is definitely better craft karma. Plus, if you have a tiny little bit of OCD, it is good too! :)